16 January 2009

those sizzlers, revisited

At the very end of 2007 I met the boy I'm going to be marrying next month (H.). Almost exactly 1 year ago today, I blogged about that meeting on The Gourmet Cartographer:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eating with my eyes

The sizzlers at Kobe Sizzlers
dscn3212.jpg
vs.

The sizzlers at my masi’s house

dscn3267.jpg
I prefer my masi’s sizzlers.

There’s something to be said for not feeling totally overwhelmed by your restaurant meal. I lost my appetite when confronted with the sheer quantity of steaming matter at Kobe Sizzlers. My masi’s sizzler, on the the hand, was food I could absorb with discerning colors and flavors. But Kobe Sizzlers has been a Bombay favorite for years, so maybe I’ve got it all wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H. took me to dinner at Kobe the second time we met and I didn't eat anything because all of it- the food- steaming, mountainous; the boy- cute, intelligent; the circumstance- set up by parents while I was seeing someone else...killed my appetite. So, H. left the dinner confused about why the girl who said she loves to eat refused to touch her food. I left, my mind a'jumble, and my tummy grumbling.

(sizzler steam clouds my camera lens)
(H. holds up a napkin to prevent splattering sizzler sauce from staining his shirt)

But circumstances changed and 11 months later we found ourselves at Kobe again. Unlike the first time, I didn't order the same sizzler as H. (mushrooms, cutlet, cheese, fries). I think lighter, more Asian flavors work better on a sizzling plate simmering with sauce and that day I really wanted noodles. So I ordered a mushroom and noodle sizzler with veggies, and actually finished a substantial portion of the food.

(adequate destruction)
H. loves Kobe. I don't mind going there once in a while, to relive those awkward memories...and actually eat that mountain of food.

Kobe Sizzlers, 12/13 Sukh Sagar, Hughes Road, Bombay, 22-2363-2174

No comments:

Post a Comment